Master's Degree

Postgraduate Loan for master’s Student loans for postgraduate Masters degrees in all subjects, including taught and research programmes. Available for full-time, part-time and distance learning courses. How much? Up to £10,000, in three instalments per year. Part-time loans capped at £5,000 per year

Studentships are postgraduate positions that have funding attached for fees, living expenses or both. They’re mainly funded by Research Councils UK. Teacher training, social work, medical and healthcare courses You can apply for funding for: Initial Teacher Training social work - through a social work bursary most medical or healthcare courses - through an NHS bursary Graduate-entry medical students can also get support from Student Finance England for fees charged over £3,465. Charities and trusts Charities and trusts sometimes provide grants, often for students from poorer backgrounds or those who’ve achieved academic excellence.

A Masters degree is the most commonly taken postgraduate qualification. It typically lasts for between one and four years, depending on the mode of study The qualification is at level 7 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) - above Bachelors but below Doctoral - and is awarded to students who show a high level of expertise in their field. Study is intense and typically involves writing a thesis. Masters degrees shouldn't be confused with the Scottish Master of Arts (MA), which is an undergraduate degree awarded by certain universities. While having a Masters degree can greatly improve your career prospects, the high costs and demands mean that this method of postgraduate study isn't for everyone.

Types of Masters degrees

Masters degrees can be further broken down into specific qualifications. The Master of Arts (MA) and Master of Science (MSc) are by far the two most popular options, but other types include the:

  • LLM (Master of Laws);
  • MArch (Master of Architecture);
  • MBA (Master of Business Administration);
  • MEd (Master of Education);
  • MEng (Master of Engineering);
  • MFA (Master of Fine Arts);
  • MLitt (Master of Letters);
  • MMus (Master of Music);
  • MPhil (Master of Philosophy);
  • MRes (Master of Research);
  • MSt (Master of Studies).